Thursday, April 10, 2014

In the beginning...

I had heard of it before, long before arriving on campus. People doing some kind of sword fighting with foam weapons. I ventured onto the quad that first week of class to the annual club recruiting day, cleverly named Quad Day. Sure enough, there they were, a whole group of people swinging foam covered sticks.

It was right up my alley, the kind of thing that came naturally to someone who had spent most of his childhood injuring themselves with impromptu weapons in less-than-safe sparring sessions. Looking back, I was fairly typical of a newbie, making all the wrong assumptions about what is good to use, learned a few rules incorrectly, but had a great time running around pretending I had any clue what I was doing. And that is where I got my start in Belegarth,like so many others.

Many years, and many fights, later, I was knighted by that same group of fighters, tasked with helping run the realm and passing on what I have learned. This blog is my first attempt to put many of the lessons I've learned about fighting over the years into a more readable form. I have done a guide here or there, links to follow when I'm not posting from my phone, but I wanted something more accessible out there.

If there is a topic you want me to cover, post it in the comments and I'll see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment